I have people who look at my hands all day. …from showing customers products to typing in their account information, they’re always looking. I used to be a nail biter and my mom hated it. Even now, when I’m stressed or anxious I will peel or bite them. …and then it’s just a mess all around. You can’t paint bitten nails and have them look nice.
Let’s talk about Twitter.
My inspiration for today is supposed to come from specific Twitter posts. I’ll get to that eventually but first I want to talk about how I got into Twitter.
Back in the day, MySpace was the social media option of choice. I had MySpace. I didn’t use it very often because back in those days everyone was all about chat rooms (remember AIM?!). MySpace was this awesome piece of the internet that you could make as creative as you wanted. If you wanted a glitter page there was a theme for that. If you wanted the site to change every time you refreshed, there was a theme for that too. You could even set your favorite song to play when someone visited your site! It was kind of a blog, but not really. Everybody had these super long profile biographies that went into detail about every little thing in their life. So if you were perusing to try a pick up someone, chances are their MySpace profile told you everything you needed to know. From what I remember, there wasn’t really a type of news feed or status update type of system to see other people’s stuff. You had to physically go view(creep) and individual’s page every time.
Where do you write?
….asks my inspiration email. Currently, I am writing from my sofa. The room I’m in is addition off of our little cape. When were were house hunting we didn’t want a cape but we came across this one and fell in love. All the houses on our street, and really in this whole neighborhood, look the same. Little cookie cutter houses built by WWII soldiers so they had something to do and places to live. Ours is slightly different because of the addition. The room is an ugly beige color that I want to paint over but that my husband likes (😩). It’s really neat because it has these wooden beams going across the ceiling with storm window blocks lining each side of the beams. My cats like to chase the rainbow lights and shadows that appear on the a walls when it’s sunny out. The previous owners also installed a little, vintage wood burning stove on one side of the room.
Today’s blog post is brought to you by a quote meme and written (typed? texted?) from my cellphone.
I browse social media regularly and I follow a lot of book loving sites. There’s one that posts memes on an daily (hourly) basis. So I came across this meme that says:
Read the books that make you happy even if they’re not classics or academic novels that won awards.
I’m going “Home” this weekend – which means I’ll pack up my three dogs, maybe my boyfriend (if he’s lucky) and I’ll make the three hour drive down south. My hometown is full of big trucks, football games, corn fields, and southern slang. It’s where I grew up, went to high school, had my first kiss, played sports and made some of my best friends.
Today’s inspiration is brought to you by single word posts. The goal here is to take one word and turn it into a post. The email provided a list of words to choose from and it definitely got me thinking.
I’m going to take it back to senior year of high school. The year was pretty decent. Made a lot of good friends but they were a grade or two lower than me. I spent most of my time in the Zoology classroom taking care of the myriad of reptiles and amphibians. Now my teacher is asking me if I’m going to college. Well, for me it’s not like I had much choice. My mother made it very clear what would happen if I didn’t go to college. At the time, I was excited. I flunked the ACTs but I did pass the SATs. I didn’t want to go to the local college because that’s where the whole graduating class was going and I needed new faces. I was too chicken shit to move to a different state or even to go an hour away so I ended up being about 45 minute drive from home. Far enough that I knew my mom wouldn’t come visit me every second but close enough to visit. I worked two jobs and went to school full time, changed my major once in there and graduated.
Today’s inspiration prompt requires me to write a list. I have a choice in which list I choose to write about but they are so simple, I’m choosing to write a list for all of them.
Things I Like:
- Books. Books are my life. I love to read. I feel like an addict going through withdrawal when I don’t have something to read. I honestly believe it keeps me sane and I lose a lot of sleep because of reading but I can sleep when I’m dead right?
- Food. I am a foodie. There is a short list, on one hand, of foods I won’t eat. Exploring new-to-me restaurants is great fun. My favorite eats: sushi, ramen, anything in pasta form (alfredo, spaghetti, ravioli etc) and Chinese food
- My pets. I have two cats and a painted turtle. I used to hate cats. I had a roommate back in college who had devil spawn cats. They would constantly destroy things and howl at the moon. I vowed never to have cats. But then one day a friend presented a box of stray cats to me and Milliardo was the only one sleeping in the box and right when I was going to walk away he opened his eyes and looked at me and I was sold. The turtle has been around for 10 years and counting and we decided Milliardo needed a more mellow friend so that’s where Isabel came into the picture.
- Netflix et al. I love watching television shows. I gravitate mostly towards historical pieces (Vikings, Downton Abbey, Spartacus..) and drama shows (Grey’s Anatomy, Shameless, Scandal..) but I’m open to anything. I’ll even watch documentaries here and there. HUGE Marvel fan and DC (sometimes when they’re good). My husband and I go and see all the Marvel films as well as the Marvel adaptation shows on Netflix.
- Music. I looooove listening to music. Some of my favorite artists include Ed Sheeran, Lindsey Stirling, Pentatonix, Beyonce, Josh Groban, Evanescence.. I am all over the board. I make it a point to watch the Grammys every year for the performances.
Things I’ve Learned:
- Lately I’ve learned that I would make a wonderful psychiatrist. I have been dishing out a lot of advice to my friends lately and I’ve learned that it’s actually pretty good advice. I’ve been told that I have the type of mindset that tries to analyze a situation from different angles in order to understand the whole picture. I like to think up different possibilities or motives for why people act or say the things they say before instantly judging. Now I can’t say that it applies to all situations (ask my husband) because I do like to be right but I’m also not afraid to admit when I’m wrong.
- I’ve learned I have the capacity to learn new things even if at first I didn’t believe in myself. I’ve started a whole new career path that has absolutely nothing to do with what I thought my dream job would be but in the month and a half that I’ve been here I’ve been told I am doing a really good job. I’m proud of myself and it only encourages me to continue to push harder and become the best at what I do.
Thing I Wish:
- I wish I could get paid to read. I know I keep saying it, but I love to read and that’s my dream job.
- I wish snowstorm Stella would take a hike. I don’t mind snow but I am so tired of the up and down extremes. I live in Ohio and it can literally go from 70 degrees one day to 20 degrees the next. Its exhausting.
- I wish I had enough money to buy a Tesla. That car is so sexy!
Things You’re Good At:
- I’m good at helping people with their computer or phone problems. I’m pretty tech savvy and have become well versed in a lot of computer programs. I love Windows and Android the most but I dabble with other operating systems from time to time.
- I’m good at driving stick shift
- I’m good at making people laugh even when they don’t want to
- I’m good at crying over fictional characters
- I’m good at singing in the shower
- I’m good at sleeping
- I’m good at giving advice and recommending things
- I’m good at social media
- I’m good at love
- I’m good at being honest
- I’m good at being me
One tenth of the way into my blogging university course! See you tomorrow for Day 3.
I often find myself thinking how unfair it is that I live with someone who works so much. …by so much I mean 6 days a week 4 AM – 6/7 PM. He runs his family business – in the produce industry.
What’s normal for them is outrageous to most people. It also means phone calls at all hours, late nights in the home office, having several home phone lines, midday naps, and watching virtually anything past 9 PM on my own.
I got this idea in my head that I should join one of these Blogging University courses. If you haven’t heard of it, its really easy to find. There are a bunch of different courses you can sign up for ranging from basic to photography to advanced authors. Since I feel like I have the basics of writing and customizing the blog theme down ( I literally went through about 50 themes in a month before settling), I chose the everyday inspiration course. The premise of this course is for the WordPress gods to send prompts to your inbox and your job is to respond to the prompts by sitting and writing for 15-30 minutes straight without stopping. Sounds easy right?